Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Thinking the story

Writer Alice McDermott wrote (in Fiction Writer Magazine):

"I'm not the sort of writer who can think up great story lines outside of writing. The writing itself is the thing that generates stories for me."


Up until now, I would have said, HUH?

Up until now, I've always been able to THINK my stories.

Up until now, I've experienced that rush of dashing to grab a pen and paper to jot down the words in my head.....that I-can-barely-write-fast-enough feeling.

Up until now.

With my current work-in-progress, I can NOT think about the story. I try and try and try and there is just a big blank wall of nothing - until I sit down and start writing.

Luckily, when I start writing, the story begins to leak out of the pen and onto the paper.

But, man, I hate working this way.

No comments: