Thursday, August 27, 2009

Another great how-to book


I received a letter from a 10-year-old about my book, How to Steal a Dog.

She enjoyed it.

But she wanted to point out a mistake in Chapter 12 (9th line) where I wrote, "He like to went crazy."

That line, of course, is Southern dialect and means, "He nearly went crazy."

Children (who don't live in the South) often think that is a mistake.

A great learning opportunity, I think.

But the best part of her letter was that my book had inspired her to write her own book.

Her title?

How to Look Smart Without Being Smart

Now THAT I would read!!

2 comments:

Lennye said...

Southern Girl all the way! How about when we say, "I'm fixin' to go to town." I love it that a 5th grader found it!

Kirby Larson said...

I always get a kick out of it when southern librarians ask if they can "make a picture" with me. Us Yankees say, "take a picture."

How dull of us.