Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Kansas Part 1

My trip to Emporia, Kansas to accept the William Allen White Book Award for How to Steal a Dog was fantastic.

The day started with a tour of the beautiful campus of Emporia State University - decorated for the occasion.




A lovely dinner the first night, when I met Cynthia Kadohata, whose book, Cracker: The Best Dog in Vietnam, won the award in the Grade 6-8 division.

Cynthia Kadohata (left) and me


After dinner, Cindy and I went to chat with students who were attending a sleepover the night before the award ceremony. I got to meet the student who would be presenting me with my award, the lovely, adorable, funny, smart fifth grader Gracie Schmidt. Gracie presented me with a basket of HOMEMADE boiled peanuts. (She had read that one of my fond childhood memories was when my grandfather grew peanuts and my grandmother boiled them.)


Gracie Schmidt (left) and me


Boiled peanuts!



A band played in front of the auditorium:




Getting ready for the ceremony:

No comments: